Moving into the summer and festive season it’s great to have some delicious canapé recipes up your sleeve. This option is tasty, high in protein, and avoids the traditional high carbohydrate options.
· 180-200g hot-smoked salmon – boneless
· 1 tablespoon, chopped dill or parsley
· 2 tablespoons lite sour cream
· ½ teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
· 4 Lebanese cucumbers/2 telegraph cucumbers washed and ends trimmed off
· 1 tablespoon dill or chives, finely chopped to garnish
· 2 lemons cut into quarters/ eighths (optional)
- Flake salmon into a medium bowl and discard the skin.
- In a small bowl, mix chopped herbs, lite sour cream, zest and some freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Add the herb mixture to the salmon, and carefully fold in.
- Use a potato peeler to remove a few strips from each cucumber (this will create a striped effect once they are cut). Cut cucumbers into 2cm-thick slices. You want approximately 16/18 pieces of cucumber.
- Use a teaspoon to scoop out a little flesh from the centre of each cucumber slice.
- Fill each little hollow with a heaped teaspoonful of salmon filling. Grind a little black pepper on top of each and add a sprinkle of salt. Scatter finely chopped herbs on top, add some slices of lemon to the side of the platter and serve.
These canapés will keep well in the fridge for a couple of hours prior to serving. Just cover the plate with a dampened paper towel to prevent the salmon drying out.