Multivitamin Supplements? Why do I need them? Do I have to take them every day? What ones do I take?
These are common questions that get asked by many people, whether it’s directly after bariatric surgery or for those that have had surgery some time ago. In a nutshell, vitamin supplements after weight loss surgery, are for life.
Why do I need them?
After bariatric surgery the routing of your stomach has changed and you are no longer able to effectively absorb nutrients from your food like you could before surgery. However, your vitamin and mineral requirements remain the same. Although you can absorb a small amount from your food, no matter how great your food intake is, you will never be able to absorb enough from your food alone. It is vital that you maintain adequate levels of vitamins and minerals in your body for it to function effectively.
What ones do I take?
Taking a comprehensive multivitamin supplement that is specific to meet the increased requirements of bariatric patients, such as the ‘Celebrate’ brand is essential after bariatric surgery.
Other supplements such as generic over-the-counter brands or supermarket ones are designed for people who need a ‘top up’ and haven’t had bariatric surgery. Therefore with these, the common dosage directed on the packet will seldom meet the increased requirements of those who have had surgery. There is also a multivitamin that you can obtain via prescription from your GP, which is not comprehensive and does not contain an appropriate mix of nutrients (i.e they contain 4 basic vitamins, whilst Celebrate contains 19 essential vitamin and minerals).
Vitamin supplements that we recommend are:
- 2 x Celebrate multivitamin capsules (with or without iron) – purchased at the clinic or www.amsnutrition.co.nz
- 1-2 x Celebrate multivitamin soft chew – purchased at the clinic or www.amsnutrition.co.nz
- 1 x Celebrate ENS Multivitamin with Calcium protein powder sachet – purchased at the clinic or www.amsnutrition.co.nz (in addition to this, you will need to take another 500 mg Calcium)
- 1 x Celebrate ENS multivitamin with Calcium drink mix – purchased at the clinic or www.amsnutrition.co.nz (in addition to this, you will need to take another 500 mg Calcium)
- 2 x centrum for women/men/50+ taken at a split dosage – purchased at the clinic or www.amsnutrition.co.nz
- Celebrate sublingual B12 – purchased at the clinic or www.amsnutrition.co.nz
- Solgar B12 – purchased from pharmacy
Do I have to take them every day?
Yes. Supplements are required to be taken everyday for life. They need to be taken daily no matter what stage after surgery you are, and this is a life long commitment, one you made with yourself and us, prior to having surgery.
You will also need to take a sublingual B12 (that dissolves under the tongue) or you can have an intramuscular B12 injection every 3 months arranged via your GP. Iron (0-60 mg) and Calcium (1000 mg) are also daily requirements for some procedures (like the Gastric bypass), and these too are available through AMS Nutrition. As with the multivitamin, B12, Iron and Calcium (if required) are for life and we can monitor your ongoing requirements by your regular blood levels. The team at WLS Ltd, is here to assist you with clarification of the requirements of supplements after your surgery. Don’t hesitate to ask us what you need.
Any additional supplements you need will be directed by your healthcare professionals and explained to you.